Thursday, September 3, 2015

Expectations, we all have them. When I sign up for something, create an agreement with another person, I have in mind what I believe the outcome will be. When the result is different than my expectation, in the past I could have many different  feelings and reactions, especially when I had a strong desire for a particular outcome. Some of my reactions could be anger, great frustration, resentment, despair and many more. I have experienced my expectations in certain situations causing me a  great deal of distress. Until I learned a different way to enter into agreements and commitments.
I look at the reasons I am considering a next step, really feel out what my beliefs and desires are expecting from accepting and moving in a direction for myself. It is also worth looking at what you think the others involved are desiring and wanting out of this agreement. Once you have sat with these two, it is time to ask the others involved for their thoughts and desires around what you are both looking at. These desires and thoughts may surprise you or may be in line with what you were perceiving. The truth is you can never totally know what anyone is thinking and feeling unless you ask and listen. Even after you have done all of the looking and asking, once you begin this journey other factors and unknowns will invariably come into the equation. This is where being flexible, adaptable, resilient and open to other possibilities are tools to keep present at all times. My favorite mantra for myself is "Oh, I forgot, things always work out for me!" It takes a few breaths and moments of remembering, until I see a new pathway.
My journeys have taken me through many changes and shifts, when I least expected them! I challenge myself constantly to become resilient and adaptable. During one of those moments a song surfaced.  I was scheduled to sing at a two day workshop in Portland and the morning of the first day, slipped on the hardwood floor at the place I was staying and fell and broke my ankle.  Thus "Expectation Blues" was born, which is on my second album, Hold On Tight to Your Dreams. You can click on Songs and scroll down to hear it.
Blessings and Resilience to you,
Bobbe

No comments:

Post a Comment